1 November 2017, San Jose, CA (USA) hosted by eBay
Reinventing Translation Quality
Enterprises today face the challenge to translate evermore content in an increasing number of languages. In the last couple of years, the translation industry has seen a lot of development with the adoption of new technologies and innovative solutions and service models. More and more companies start to enhance their existing translation processes with machine translation technology and new community- and data-driven platforms. The opportunities offered by automation and innovation in translation are great, but the challenges are equally impressive. How do we assess and manage translation quality and deliver what the user needs? How do we evaluate the output of MT engines? And how do we harvest the data so we can provide meaningful reports on productivity and quality?
The TAUS QE Summit is meant to bring translation buyers and vendors together to learn from each other and to find common ground and ways to collaborate. The objective of the one-day event is to provide an open platform to the participating companies to discuss effective enterprise language methods and to pursue future trends.
Focus and format of the Summit
The focus of the summit is on the challenges and opportunities of quality management and quality evaluation in the translation industry. It will be a highly interactive meeting, with short presentations of use cases and experiences, followed by discussions with the participants. The discussions will be moderated by TAUS. The aim of the meeting is to deliver concrete and useful results. We plan to draft a report based on the topics discussed in the afternoon session.
Topics for Discussion
The agenda contains the following items:
- Introductory presentations from a selection of the participating companies, outlining use cases and opportunities and challenges in automation and measuring translation quality.
- Presentation and discussion on how to measure customer satisfaction and how to turn this data into business intelligence.
- Presentation and discussion on how to boost translator productivity working with MT by optimizing translation workflows and improving quality estimation.
- Presentation and discussion on translation with fast turn-around and in agile workflows. How do we go from a static quality approach to a more dynamic one?
Participants are requested to prepare a short presentation of maximum five slides consisting of an overview of their translation organization and process and an outline of the challenges and opportunities their organization is facing in the coming year(s) and possibly a use case of machine translation or quality management. At the roundtable, each of the participating companies will give a short presentation (10 minutes).
Wednesday 1 November
9:00 / Welcome with coffee
9:15 / Introductions and Agenda Overview
9:30 / Introductory Presentations
Each participating company makes a 10-minute presentation (including a short Q&A), profiling their translation organization and sharing their opportunities and challenges in automation and quality measurement.
10:30 / Coffee Break
11:00 / Introductory Presentations (continued)
12:30 / Lunch
14:00 / Customer satisfaction: what do we measure?
Quality is when the buyer or customer is satisfied. Yet quality measurement in the translation industry is not always linked to customer satisfaction but rather is managed by quality gatekeepers on the supply and demand side. Companies tend to have specific evaluation models, the majority of which are based on counting errors, applying penalties and maintaining thresholds with little, if any, interaction from customers. How can we harvest user or customer data and feedback to offer the right level of quality? How to measure usability and customer behavior?
14:30 / Evaluating MT systems for internal adoption
One of the most significant practical applications of MT evaluation is making the case for the introduction of MT in the regular workflow of a company. In the case of eBay, this means testing MT productivity and quality in order to obtain reliable metrics that can lead to buy-in from internal linguists and external LSPs. Questions to be answered are – how to pick candidate MT systems? Which tools and KPIs to use? How to establish a process that can scale through time? In this presentation we will address these questions.
15:00 / Ephemeral translations in an agile world
How would our definition and approach to translation quality change if we realized that within 20-30 years every existing translation will need to be revised anyway? Or if we knew that the majority of online users don't really care anymore about errors, fluency and accuracy of translations. They just want the information in any of the languages they speak and they WANT IT NOW! What is the definition of translation quality in our increasingly fast-paced world? How to assess quality in agile workflows? How can buyers make sure that the right quality is delivered?
15:30 / Refreshment Break
16:00 / World Cafe
Three twenty minute rounds of discussions on the three topics of the afternoon session.
- Table 1: Customer satisfaction: what do we measure?
- Table 2: Evaluating MT systems for internal adoption
- Table 3: Ephemeral translations in an agile world
17:00 / Report back to plenary
Each of the three groups will report back to all attendees what their conclusions are and will also make recommendations for possible collaborative industry actions.
17:15 / Closing remarks and Adjourn
The TAUS QE Summit 2017 San Jose will be hosted by eBay at their South Campus buildings. The address is:
2065 Hamilton Ave
San Jose, CA 95125
Since the QE Summit is a 1-day event and hosted at eBay instead of a hotel, we do not have a contract with a hotel for bedrooms. However, the 2 days before the QE Summit we will be downtown San Jose for our Annual Conference. Please have a look at the Annual Conference pages for information on how to book your hotel room.
Recommendable hotels in the area of the eBay South Campus:
1995 South Bascom Avenue
Campbell, CA, 95008
Avg. price is $269 for a king or double bed
Walking distance or 5 min by car
655 Creekside Way
Campbell, CA 95008
Avg. rate is $369
Walking distance or 5 min by car
2761 South Bascom Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008
Avg, rate is $289 with free breakfast
10 min by car – too far to walk to the campus
Here are some comments from previous Summit participants:
- “Thanks for organizing such a great QE summit. I really enjoyed everything I saw and made some great contacts that I think can be very helpful.” – Roisin Twomey, Microsoft
- “I enjoyed my participation in the TAUS QE Summit in Barcelona on 14 June 2017. Thanks to TAUS for organising such an interesting exchange event.” – Angelika Vaasa, European Parliament
- “I really enjoyed the workshop and meeting known & new faces, thanks for inviting me along!” – Lena Marg, Welocalize
- “As ever, TAUS events are great opportunities for having in-depth discussions with colleagues and industry peers. There are always so many valuable insights! ” – Nancy Ferreira da Rocha, TNT
- “Both the Industry Leaders Forum in Girona and the QE Summit in Barcelona were very interesting. I came back to office with my notebook full of notes and action items. We'll stay in touch for sure! – Nikos Chatzipanagiotou, nlg GmbH