Title: Junior Data Engineer
TAUS is a resource center for the global language and translation industries. Our mission is to enable better translation through innovation and automation.
We envision translation as a standard feature, a utility, similar to the internet, electricity and water. Translation available in all languages to all people in the world will push the evolution of human civilization to a much higher level of understanding, education and discovery.
We support all translation operators – translation buyers, language service providers, individual translators and government agencies – with a comprehensive suite of online services, software and knowledge that help them to grow and innovate their business. We extend the reach and growth of the translation industry through our execution with sharing translation data and quality evaluation metrics.
The Junior Data Engineer will join a small team that is responsible for the development and support of new features of the TAUS Data platform. Contributing to the ModernMT EU project and to the Connecting Europe Facility the Junior Data Engineer will collaborate with the project partners to gather large scale translation data from the web and make this data available to the projects and the community at large.
- Help developing the data sharing platform TAUS Data
- Working on the European Commission funded projects ModernMT and CEF
- Fluent in English and preferably one other language
- Good writing skills and verbal communications skills
- Continuous learner and disciplined worker
- Inspired to work in fast-paced, nimble business environments
- Reliable, hardworking and a team player
- Passionate about finding the best solution for the end user
- Some experience with front-end web development
Nice to have
Nice to have
- Experience with crawling or scraping data from the web, parsing HTML
- Experience with big data processing (e.g. in Hadoop)
- Experience with full stack web development, including front- and back-end implementation, relational database design, RESTful APIs, and basic Linux administration
- A bachelor or master degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics
- Localization experience or interest in human languages
Location & Reporting
The job will be performed in the Amsterdam office of TAUS on the Keizersgracht 74.
The position can be full-time or part-time.
The Junior Data Engineer works closely with the other TAUS Software Engineers and the Product Managers as well as with the content creators. The Junior Data Engineer reports to the Director Data Cloud, who is based in Washington DC.